AirG

EVE Online ... still a beautiful thing.

@PlanetaryGenocide The article in question includes a link to dev video on the subject. Not sure how much info it has. It sounds like trial accounts are still gimped, just in a different way,

So I have been lurking EVE for years but just never wanted to take the plunge.  The interwebs seem to be all aflutter about alpha clones and the opportunities FTP players can have in the game now.  Is it time for me to push my chips and create a login?  If I play an alpha for a while and decide to subscribe, do I have to restart or can I keep what I've built as an alpha clone?  Likewise, if I am a subscriber and decide to revert back to FTP, what happens to all of my goodies?  If they just grey out until I subscribe again - cool, but if you lose everything - not cool.  

The blogs all keep saying that you can be a newb in an ancient game and still enjoy it because CCP keeps rebalancing and keeps it fresh, is that true or would I just be a feeder guppy for tryhards.  Also, just how much fun can be had in 1-2 hours per day 4-5 days per week?  I'm to old to basement camp.

On 12/1/2016 at 11:36 AM, Archaic_One said:

So I have been lurking EVE for years but just never wanted to take the plunge.  The interwebs seem to be all aflutter about alpha clones and the opportunities FTP players can have in the game now.  Is it time for me to push my chips and create a login?  If I play an alpha for a while and decide to subscribe, do I have to restart or can I keep what I've built as an alpha clone?  Likewise, if I am a subscriber and decide to revert back to FTP, what happens to all of my goodies?  If they just grey out until I subscribe again - cool, but if you lose everything - not cool.  

The blogs all keep saying that you can be a newb in an ancient game and still enjoy it because CCP keeps rebalancing and keeps it fresh, is that true or would I just be a feeder guppy for tryhards.  Also, just how much fun can be had in 1-2 hours per day 4-5 days per week?  I'm to old to basement camp.

To answer the following questions:

• Is it time for me to push my chips and create a login? - Yes, probably
  • If I play an alpha for a while and decide to subscribe, do I have to restart or can I keep what I've built as an alpha clone? Likewise, if I am a subscriber and decide to revert back to FTP, what happens to all of my goodies? - You keep what you've built.  In addition, if your sub lapses, your account simply goes back to alpha clone status - all your assets and trained skills will stay, but you will only be able to use whatever skills/items that alpha clones can use.
  • The blogs all keep saying that you can be a newb in an ancient game and still enjoy it because CCP keeps rebalancing and keeps it fresh, is that true or would I just be a feeder guppy for tryhards.- It's true, but dependent on a few factors such as what you choose to do and what group you choose to join.  Trying to stick it alone will almost certainly result in you being fodder for tryhards; joining a newbie-friendly/alpha-friendly group such as Pandemic Horde, Karmafleet, TEST Alliance, etc. will allow you to have fun and be of use on fleets literally from day 1.
  • Also, just how much fun can be had in 1-2 hours per day 4-5 days per week? - Again depends on your playstyle and which group you join, but most quick fleets take about that long (or less if you guys get mega dunked 4 jumps from home).

Tl;dr: you should give it a shot, make sure to join a good player group.

On 12/6/2016 at 6:05 PM, Archaic_One said:

Thanks!

What do you think of Eve-Uni?  Are they worth spending a couple of months with or should I jump right into a corp?  

I never went through their program myself but I haven't really heard anything too bad about them.  The most common criticism is that their application process literally feels like applying to a real world college/university and that they focus a little too much on high security space, but I've seen them take roaming fleets out into lowsec for PvP so it's not a bad option.  It really depends on what you want to do in the game.  They do have planned "lessons" and shit and most of those should fit within the timeframe you said you had for playing (1-2 hours at a time).

Also, they count as a corp too, pretty much any official player organization in game either is a corp, a collection of corps (alliances), a collection of collection of corps (coalition, though this isn't supported by any ingame mechanics other than standings between alliances), or is "unofficial" but represented by a corp/alliance.  The latter group tends to operate through public chat channels and may not actually have a representing corp/alliance. For example, Incursion groups (which are basically the EVE equivalent of PVE raid groups) tend to operate through chat channels as opposed to a single unified corporation/alliance.

E: Also, my name in Eve is Planetary Genocide (same as here just with a space) so feel free to send me evemails or whatever in-game if you have any questions.  There's also a WoTLabs channel that some of us used to hang out in, but I think me and my alt characters are the only ones in there nowadays... but feel free to join that as well

Something something alpha clone something something HORDE HORN.

Seriously this game is great, I've had a passing interest in getting into it for a while. I finally took the plunge while my fiance is out of town and reactivated a trial account I got 3 years ago from Garbad, may he rest in peace.

3 days in, and I've already gotten on mails for 2 different 2 bill Tengus, a few battleships, and a thanatos (PL dropped a revenant on it before anyone but our horde gang that originally found it got there).

https://zkillboard.com/character/94171488/