FlorbFnarb

Anybody wanna give guesses as to how this Berghdahl business ends up? NO POLITICAL RESPONSES NECESSARY K THX

People in his old unit have reported that he just finished his shift on guard duty and walked the fuck off his tiny-ass little outpost in Afghanistan.

I'm guessing they'll give him some time to re-acclimate to freedom then follow it up with a court martial and a dishonorable discharge.

I doubt he'll see any jail time because of the whole POW thing, but either way it doesn't look good.

Enjoy your RO.

lol

For what, exactly? Discussing a possible deserter and potential criminal case? Must have missed that one in the forum rules...

lol

For what, exactly? Discussing a possible deserter and potential criminal case? Must have missed that one in the forum rules...

A thread like this on a forum with such a large military & ex-military audience can cause nothing but trouble.

To say nothing of the political firestorm surrounding the prisoner swap.

lol

Smells awfully political to me... 

Confirm/deny? 

Confirm.  I'm hardly on board with the exchange as it happened, but this is not the place for that discussion,

People in his old unit have reported that he just finished his shift on guard duty and walked the fuck off his tiny-ass little outpost in Afghanistan.

I think your RO will last longer than this crap should stay in the news....

I'm guessing they'll give him some time to re-acclimate to freedom then follow it up with a court martial and a dishonorable discharge.

I doubt he'll see any jail time because of the whole POW thing, but either way it doesn't look good.

Apparently a guy in Korea in 65 got drunk and wandered off while on patrol and got captured by the Norks for decades. When he got back the Army court martialed him and gave him 30 days plus a dishonorable.

Smells awfully political to me...

Confirm/deny?

It's a story about an accused deserter. It's political if people want to make it political just for the sake of preventing it being discussed, but I'm not the one making it political.

I think your RO will last longer than this crap should stay in the news....

Why is it "crap" that shouldn't be news, exactly?

I need to check the Internet when I get off work, but apparently multiple people who served with him have done interviews, I believe on CNN.

It's gonna be interesting to see if anything substantiated pops up in this. If it does, it's a pretty big deal; desertion is a hell of a different thing than just being AWOL for a week or something. AWOL doesn't have to result in any serious penalty, if the guilty party even gets formally charged. Desertion in a combat zone is one of the most serious military offenses possible.

I guess we'll see if anything more crops up.

So close to lighting the signal. Someone had their Bad Idea jeans on when they started this thread.

sigh

A man stands accused by his peers of an extremely serious offense. Since when, exactly, is that anywhere near a forbidden topic on these forums?

Props to the guy for figuring the bullshit he was into and walking away.

Really? "The bullshit he was into"? You're seriously going to applaud desertion?

sigh

A man stands accused by his peers of an extremely serious offense. Since when, exactly, is that anywhere near a forbidden topic on these forums?

1. The political firestorm resulting in the prisoner swap is what made this such big news anyway.

2. This could easily escalate into the whole argument about whether we should have/should be over there in the first place.

3. Potentially divisive threads, while good for your post count, don't imply "Shenanigans" at least to me.

If I had a vote, I'd say bin this topic.

Really? "The bullshit he was into"? You're seriously going to applaud desertion?

Oh man, you're fucking kidding, right? 

This is a perfect example as to why the political threads were banned in the first place, and here you are trying to champion their return, under neutral pretenses... then you go spewing this kind of non-sense? RIP, GG 

Edit: I just need 1 more WN8 overall... Y_Y

I'm not going to, i already did.

Too bad the guy was captured by the insurgents before he could do something better with his life.

>Seeks no political discussion and wishes for unbiased opinions

>starts off with this statement

Eventually the evidence will present themselves, and nothing will change no matter how much you get people to agree/disagree with you.

Thread closed. 3 day RO for trying to incite political flaming